Our team understands that commercial property owners are always looking for ways to make their facility and parking lot safer, more efficient, and better-protected. One excellent solution that delivers on all fronts is bollard installation.
What Are Safety Bollards?
Bollards are metal or plastic pillars installed on commercial properties to protect pedestrians and buildings from unwanted traffic, incorrectly parked vehicles, and other inconveniences. Safety bollards can increase the safety and functionality of your commercial property in a few ways.
There are a few different types of bollards:
- Removable bollards: Removable bollards serve the purpose of creating visual barriers around temporary work zones. Removable bollards are often seen on highways and roadways to alert drivers and pedestrians of closed lanes, roadwork, detours, and closed exits.
- Collapsible bollards: Collapsible bollards may be used in similar ways to removable bollards, but collapsible bollards are permanently built into the ground. Collapsible bollards are able to be raised and lowered into the ground based on when they are needed. This type of bollard is common in parks or places that hold public service equipment.
- Fixed bollards: Fixed bollards are most common in high-traffic parking lots such as those at shopping centers and government buildings. These types of bollards are installed as permanent fixtures that cannot easily be removed.
The Benefits of Safety Bollards
Safety bollards enhance the functionality of your commercial property while also protecting the individuals that use it. Proponents of safety bollards believe that they have endless potential to benefit the community.
Some of these benefits may include:
- Adding visual interest to your property: Bollards can be functional and decorative. Decorative bollards are great for adding a creative and visually interesting aspect to your property’s exterior.
- Protect your storefront: Every day, approximately 60 vehicles are driven through retail storefronts. Bollards can protect your storefront from accidental or purposeful drivers plowing through the front of your building. Bollards can also reduce theft.
- Protect drivers and pedestrians: Bollards can designate specific areas for pedestrians and drivers to avoid confusion and unfortunate accidents on your commercial property.
- Bring light to poorly lit areas: Safety bollards create additional installation opportunities for lighting solutions. Well-lit areas are less likely to be burglarized. Reflective bollards can also increase the safe use of your property in the nighttime or early morning hours.
- Control the flow of traffic: Removable bollards are great for creating lanes and diverting the flow of traffic at sporting events, graduations, school pick-ups, worship services, and more.
- Restrict access to unwanted areas: Safety bollards are frequently used to prevent access to specific areas that the general public is not allowed, such as at concerts and crime scenes.
What to Consider Before You Begin the Installation Process
There are a few key factors to consider before installing safety bollards at your commercial property. Some of these factors may include:
- Legal requirements: Local governments will have their own set of codes and ordinances stipulating the guidelines safety bollards must adhere to. Contact your local Building Code Department for more information regarding your municipality’s specific bollard codes.
- Site plans: The architect that drew up the site plans for your commercial property may have allotted specific locations for bollards.
- Spacing: Bollards must be ADA-compliant, which means the space between them must be able to accommodate a wheelchair or motorized chair. The spacing between your bollards will depend on the function they will serve.
For more information about bollard installation and commercial asphalt paving, contact our team today!